Lewis Travel Study Proposal
This page provides Lewis University faculty the opportunity to submit their Travel Study program proposal and supporting documents electronically and provide easier tracking of the proposal through the approval process.
In order to conduct a Travel Study Program, faculty must submit a proposal that will be reviewed for approval by relevant members and offices of Lewis University. Travel Study programs are initiated and conducted by full- or part-time faculty members who are on an annual Lewis University faculty contract. Although only one faculty leader is required to teach a course, two leaders are required for a program if there are more than 12 participants. Other personnel may be involved on occasion, but their participation is limited and must be approved before any program arrangements take place.
The Travel Study Program must have a well-defined focus, correspond with the faculty leader’s area of expertise, and relate the travel to the course objectives. The faculty leader is the instructor of the course. He/she develops the syllabi and takes full responsibility for course teaching and learning and is responsible for the specific travel study. Programs directed toward a larger audience, whether it is a General Education course, generally require less recruiting and yield a higher number of applicants. Being mindful of how the course will fit into students’ academic career and meet their degree requirements will also make recruiting for the program more successful.
No implementation, marketing, or recruiting of the program may occur until the program has been fully approved. Once the program has been approved, the Study Abroad Office will contact the faculty leader and the arrangements can proceed toward creating a successful Travel Study program.
Travel Study Proposal Resources
Travel Study Proposal Process
To submit a Travel Study Program proposal for consideration, please follow these steps:
- Click on the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this page.
- Click OK for the pop up window that asks if you are sure you want to create an application.
- The system will ask how you will be logging in. Faculty should be able to use their Lewis University login information to access the system, so select “I have a Lewis University username and password.”
- Log into the application system using your MyLewis username and password.
- Select the appropriate Term.
- Enter the dates and location(s) of the program. For programs that plan to visit multiple cities and towns, please enter each of the locations and the dates the program plans to be there by choosing the dates and location then entering Add to Itinerary. The program location can either be chosen from the list of cities and countries already in the system or by performing a location search. For the location search, just enter the city name and choose the correct one from the search results.
- Once all of the dates and locations have been entered, click Apply.
- On the following application page, complete the items in the Questionnaire section. These include:
- Travel Study Template Questions*
- Travel Study Syllabus/Syllabi*
- Travel Study Itinerary*
- Travel Study Budget*
* - The supporting documents for each of these, either in Word or Adobe Acrobat format, can be uploaded into the questionnaire rather than entering text.
If there are any difficulties logging in or uploading materials , please contact Chris Swanson, Director of Study Abroad. He can investigate the problem and create a new username and password if necessary.
Once the proposal and supporting materials are submitted, they will be sent to the department chair and the Dean who will first review the materials. After they have approved the proposal, the Director of Study Abroad will then review the proposal to ensure that it meets all University and Travel Study guidelines. Once it has successfully passed this review, the Director will then initiate the final approval process by the Academic Associate to the Provost, the Provost, and the Senior Vice President/CFO.